Progressivism/liberalism/socialism/fascism/monarchy/oligarchy/dictatorship and other forms of statism are based on the idea that normal people are incapable of handling their own affairs.
(1) there is an elite group of enlightened people who can manage things,
(2) these enlightened despots will not be the same ones who screw up the private organizations that they deem to be the problem in need of fixing,
(3) these will be the people actually put into the positions of authority, and
(4) bureaucrats will be hired to administer the enlightened elite’s dictates.
Unfortunately, that theory quits thinking just before the point where it is clear that
(5) the positions of authority cannot always be filled by the necessary enlightened elite, and
(6) the bureaucrats hired to handle other people’s affairs will be normal people who are incapable of handling their own affairs.
Bureaucrats do not serve the people — they serve the bureaucracy.
(see also: self-licking ice cream cone)
This was blatantly stolen from sondrak because it is so damn good!